Re: finite approximation of the minimal Herbrand model for a RIF Core/BLD ruleset.

Note in that context that, another issue is the following:

RIF entailment is strictly speaking not only parametric to the dialect (Core/BLD/strongly safe core ... I hope we can define a unified entailmanet regime which catches all three) but also to the combination semantics chosen, cf. http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-rdf-owl/#Profiles_of_Imports, i.e. do we want to define only a RIF/Simple-Entailment regime,
or also:

 RIF/RDF
 RIF/RDFS
 RIF/D
 RIF/OWL
 RIF/OWL DL
 RIF/OWL Full

(btw, the latter two have been renamed in the latest editor's draft in RIF, , cf. http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/SWC#Profiles_of_Imports,
due to comments form the OWL WG to
 RIF/OWL Direct
 RIF/OWL RDF-Based
)

To start with, I think my original proposal works straightforwardly for RIF/Simple, the others (particularly when we jump up to OWL) need more thought, and probably checking back with Jos & Birte ;-)

Axel

P.S.: <chairhat-off>I note that for my main use case, which is modeling different rule based approximations of fragments of the RDFS and OWL semantics in RIF, RIF/Simple is probably sufficient..</chairhat-off>