Re: finite approximation of the minimal Herbrand model for a RIF Core/BLD ruleset.

>> On 2010-02-24 12:24, Axel Polleres wrote:
>>> Below I forward some thought from jos on this with his consent:
>>>
>>> @jos: can you ealborate what exactly you mean here:

>>> in how far is this a (potential) problem?
>>
>> I'm not saying this is a problem per se. You were simply not taking the
>> RDF(S) semantics (i.e., axiomatic triples & semantics conditions) into
>> account in the definition you proposed.
>
> yes, this is another issue. good point.
>
>> Of course one needs to be careful with the infinite axiomatic triples,
>> especially when considering query answering and not just checking
>> entailment.
>
> A common way to deal with this in a finite approximation way is
> a) ignoring (specifically the infinite) axiomatic triples alltogether
> b) take only those from the infinite axiomatic triples (those about container membership properties)
> that appear in the graph... I believe the latter is what we do in the current RDF(S) entailment regime, yes Birte?

b) seems to be the most reasonable way to go; but make sure to include
at least one representative (for queries with blank nodes).
Unnecessarily ignoring parts of the semantics (as in a) seems rather a
bad idea.

Cheers, Jos

--
Jos de Bruijn