Re: [ENT] reuse of rif namespace for rif:imports.

On May 21, 2010, at 12:28 , Axel Polleres wrote:
>>> P.S.: Talked to the RIF guys today again in the RIF TC, they obviously want to review the doc (especially in case we reuse the rif: namespace)
>>> I am personally not so fond anymore of reusing the RIF namespace, since - as rif:imports has no semantics in RIF - that might be misleading.
>>
>> The problem is... where do we put it?
>>
>> - sparql namespace means that it is really really sparql specific, which it is not
>> - rdf or rdfs namespace would suggest that this belongs to the core functionality of RDF which is not
>> - ???
>>
>> the rif namespace is still the most logical place...
>
> I think we can propose this and see what RIF thinks about it upon asking them explicitly for review... i
> n that sense, it would make sense to do that change even now already before the upcoming pub round, to get quick feedback.

If that works in time...

> Still I am afraid it has some awkward corner cases, that might be considered unintuitive, I have no real better suggestion except a new namespace.
> As for the argument against a sparql controlled namespace... if it is not used by RIF, and not in the core functionality of RDF, I am getting afraid
> a bit we may need to ask ourselves, in what sense it is *not* sparal-specific? :-|

Well... as far as I can see, the RIF document does not really say how RIF processors will work in practice. Ie, how they get their data, RIF or RDF. Any deployment may have the same issues as sparql has, and it could benefit from this mechanism...

Ivan

----