[ENT] Another URI issue still unsolved (was: Re: Today's TC minutes http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/meeting/2010-05-18)

Reading through the minutes and looking through the entailment regimes document, it seems that the only URI issue is the one for rif:imports. Alas, this is not the case.

The current document uses

http://www.w3.org/ns/entailment/RIF-RDF-Core

as a URI for entailment. At the moment, that URI does not exist, see [1]. The only RIF related URI is

http://www.w3.org/ns/entailment/RIF

When the /entailment collection was set up, the advice I got from the RIF WG is that this should be the only URI for RIF, because the choice between Core, BLD, or PLD does not mean a difference in entailment semantics, only syntactic subsets of RIF in general (I am just a go-between here, and I may not quote the original argument properly and whether this is really true). This makes sense to me; [1] does not include the various OWL profiles either, which are syntactic subsets of OWL and whose definitions are, in fact, orthogonal to the semantics of entailment.

For OWL, there is a separate set of profile URIs, namely[2]. I wonder whether the right way of doing things would not be to create a new set of URI-s, something like http://www.w3.org/ns/rif-dialects/, and having /Core, /PLD, /BLD there (possible others may come later).

This is not my decision, though, this ought to be agreed upon by the RIF WG. Sandro, Axel, can you take care of clarifying this with the RIF WG? I can then set up the URI-s themselves.

That being said, this should not hold the publication up; we can put an editorial comment into the document, just like for rif:imports.

Ivan

[1] http://www.w3.org/ns/entailment/
[2] http://www.w3.org/ns/owl-profile/

On May 18, 2010, at 17:49 , Axel Polleres wrote:

> Today's TC minutes are available at http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/meeting/2010-05-18
> Thanks Matt for scribing!
>
> best,
> Axel