Re: Base URI in updates?

On 2010-05-21, at 09:45, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> > Can you suggest something?
>
> What we decide really does need explaining the counter intuitive nature in the doc.
>

> I'd like to find a way to make the graph URI the base even if that means contorting things a little - after all, this 3rd party service/graph naming we are using isn't the primary design space of REST anyway.
>
> I'd argue that the use of the graph=<abs URI> creates a new URI used to retrieve the entity.
>
> When we have http://example/x then adding /y changes the URI used to retrieve the entity (5.1.3) entity from http://example/x to http://example/x/y.
>
> So adding ?graph=GraphURI changes the URI used to retrieve the entity (5.1.3) to GraphURI
>
> Admittedly weak, but then we are on the boundary of RESTful addressing anyway.

Sorry, I'd not been following this conversation, but I strongly agree with Andy. If you use a SPARQL store as a cache of external RDF graphs (which is a common usecase for us), then you really want this behaviour, otherwise the local URIs in the document are not interpreted as the author of the document intended.

Consider
  curl -T swh.xrdf http://store.local/data/?graph=http://plugin.org.uk/swh.xrdf
and
  LOAD <file:swh.xrdf> INTO <http://plugin.org.uk/swh.xrdf>

[ swh.xrdf refers to </swh.pubkey.asc>, it's signature, and uses the subject URI <#me>, as do many FOAF files ]

In both cases I'd argue that you'd expect the base URI to be http://plugin.org.uk/swh.xrdf, and the behaviour should the same in my opinion.

Steve Harris, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK
+44 20 8439 8203  http://www.garlik.com/