Re: [TF-PP] Possible starting points

Seaborne, Andy wrote:
> This is a request for your views on starting points for the property paths time permitting feature.
>
> Please send +1/0/-1 for the options (which aren't meant to be mutually exclusive) or we might get telcon time.
>
> I've tried to list the main possibilities in terms of styles and approach as starting points: all have variations and areas of uncertainty (e.g. ordering of results).
>
> 1/ Property paths only mention IRIs or prefixed names.

+1

> The most conservative choice. Still need to relate to entailment.
>
> 2/ Property paths with variables and IRIs or prefixed names.
> (issues include restriction of what can be asked a la ?p* discussion)

0

If some reasonable restriction can be formulated, let us go for it, but
do not spend too much time...

> 3/ With access to the length of the path matched
> Issues include how multiple paths between two nodes are handled (two lengths possible).

Would having a min-length and max-length (but no exact length) help? If
not, -1

> 4/ With access to the path matched (path-valued variables is one possibility)
> Issues as 3 + what is a path value "datatype".
>
> For all of them: add an option to have

-1 (I do not see how this could be reasonable spec-d within a short time)

> 5/ A mechanism that will allow a variety of path matching schemes, and provide one such system.
> Roughly, this would involve defining syntax so various different approaches can at least use common syntax but choose from 1-4 as to what the WG describes in this round of standardization and show the relationship to the syntax. E.g having a PATH keyword idea in [1].

-1

> Then
>
> 6/ Do nothing in this round - too early to standardise.

-1. I think, at the minimum, option #1 is doable and we should have it.

Ivan

>  Andy
>

> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/TaskForce:PropertyPaths
> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Feature:PropertyPaths
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2009JulSep/0315.html

>   Hewlett-Packard Limited
>   Registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
>   Registered No: 690597 England

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153