RE: Parameterized Inference - starting mail discussion

= Feature:ServiceDescriptions ?

else -1.

> - REQUEST ENTAILMENT: should we work on a mechanism to request the
> entailment regime in a query (query side side parameterized inference,
> i.e. the requester be able to specify what entailment it expects, Bijan
> seemed to have suggested that the engine may respond falling back to
> another entailment regime, which probably should be indicated in the
> query response)

-1 : Too early. Do the important, well understood, well explored features first.  SPARQL already has an extension point on BGP matching. Use this and other extension mechanisms to explore this area.  Much already possible, maybe inconveniently and not ideally, with named graphs and different endpoint setups over the same base data.

> - SUPPORTED ENTAILMENT REGIMES: should we work on defining a fixed set
>    of supported entailment regimes (suggested were: OWL RL, OWL EL, OWL
> QL, OWL DL, "finite RDFS") plus an extensibility mechanism for custom
> entailment regimes (Orri's mail seems to support this, i.e. not all
> inferences wanted in all situations, suggested so far was <rifruleset>
> but maybe even more flexibility is needed)?

-1 : The community should cluster around particular profiles based on experience.  Then record and standardise.

> - EXTENDED DATASETS: should we work on defining an extended mechanism
> for defining datasets that allows to merge/compose named graphs? This
> relates to paramterized inference because you need to be able to "merge"
> an ontology into a "named data graph" for getting inferred answers.

Service descriptions can say "graph X is the RDF merge of graphs Y and Z" which leaves the case of query control of composition.

This is non-trivial when the graphs are large.  See also Feature:BasicFederatedQuery which allows dispatch of sub-queries to other graphs rather than merging them.

For this round of WG work, I'd scope SPARQL to not cover how graphs and datasets come into being.  Also, I don't see where this stops.

 Andy