Re: Editorial thread for BGP matching

Patrick J. Hayes wrote:
> Reading through, some miscellaneous
> comments/questions/suggestions(?).
> ------
> 2.1.4
> "Triple Patterns are grouped together with {}(braces)."
> Possibly mention here that these groupings determine scope
> of bnode identifiers(?) <<Do they, in fact? That is,
> should we read
> {{_:a :p :q .}
> {_:a :r :b .}}
> as having two bnodes in it, or one? Im presuming two, as
> otherwise what are the {} boundaries for? >>

It's two BGPs.

{} really delimit groups.  I'm going to add that a (filtered)BGP is a sequence
of triple patterns or filters.

Which answers the question of what

{ BGP1 optional { BGP2 } BPG3 }

really means.

> 2.1.5 Examples of Query Syntax
>
> The reader is tempted to ask, what about mixing the
> variable prefixes in a single query, such as
>
> PREFIX  dc: <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/> PREFIX  :
> <http://example.org/book/> SELECT  $title WHERE   { :book1
>  dc:title  ?title }
>
> Is that legal? If so, suggest fix one of the examples to
> show this.

Good idea - done.

> BTW, some of the example answer tables have the variable
> name with ? included, others not: suggest they should be
> consistent for clarity.

I found one. If you find any more, please let me know.

I believe there is a daemon that goes round putting them back in when I'm not
looking.

I've changed the y binding to <http://example/a>

> 2.2
>
> "This definition of RDF Term collects together several
> basic notions from the RDF data model."
> //
> "......the RDF data model, but updated to refer to IRIs
> rather than URIs."

Done. but s/URIs/RDF URI references/

Good link.

> (Could refer to
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#section-Graph-URIref
> "Note: this section anticipates an RFC on
> Internationalized Resource Identifiers. Implementations
> may issue warnings concerning the use of RDF URI
> References that do not conform with [IRI draft] or its
> successors.".)
>
> "Note that all IRIs are absolute; they may or may not
> include a fragment identifier [RFC3987, section 3.1]. Also
> note that IRIs include URIs [RFC3986] and URLs."
> ? Should perhaps say here that they include URI references
> (?)

I believe that 3986 cleared up use of URI reference to be the case of not
absolute and that #frags are part of absolute URIs.

> Definition:
> "A query variable is a member of the set V where V is
> infinite and disjoint from RDF-T."
> Why infinite? We only need enough for a single query.

It was a comment.  I think that the defn being here does not carry teh
connection to just one query.

>   "The following triple pattern has a subject variable
> (the variable book), a predicate of dc:title and an object
> variable (the variable title)."
> predicate of//predicate

Done

> Triple pattern: Why not allow bnodes in property position
> as well, with the same disclaimers about not matching any
> current RDF graph? There isn't any good semantic reason to
> forbid that case either. (If this would require a WG
> decision, forget it :-)

The syntax allows it.  Defn fixed.

Definition: Triple Pattern
A triple pattern is member of the set:
     (RDF-T union V) x (I union RDF-B union V) x (RDF-T union V)

(Could even add literals for complete symmetry. Not done as literals in the
predicate would be rather confusing for no value.)

> ---------
>
> I started commenting on section 2.4 and 2.5 but its easier
> to redraft them. (The current definition of 'pattern
> solution" is wrong and can't be fixed until the scoping
> graph is mentioned, which requires re-ordering some
> material).
> For my best attempt so far, see
> http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/Section2.4revized.html  (I
> cut out some of your html and edited it. <<comments like
> this>> )
>
> Im rather confused, I confess, by the various distinctions
> (pattern solution, query solution,...) in section 2.4, so
> that section is still a muddle. I think some of it ls left
> over from earlier versions. For example, Pattern Solution
> refers to "RDF terms occurring in G" which is wrong. In
> fact, I don't think there is any way to distinguish
> between variable substitution and pattern solution at this
> point, since the latter can't be defined properly until
> the scoping set has been mentioned.
>
> -------
>
> Sorry, I only got back to this tonight, so it likely needs
> more work but I'll send this now to get it to you before
> the telecon.
>
> Pat

More to follow.