Re: Editorial thread for BGP matching

>On 21 Jan 2006, at 20:43, Enrico Franconi wrote:
>

>>I propose to have an explicit text to present the reader the
>>alternative semantics

Its only an alternative form of words which gets the same result. The
semantics isn't changed at all.

>>by Pat in a simple way, immediately before "As an example of a
>>Basic Graph Pattern:", as follows:
>>
>>"In the case of simple entailment, if the scoping graph G' is such
>>that it does not share blank nodes with BGP, then the above
>>definition can be simplified to use a standard RDF merge instead of
>>an OrderedMerge."
>
>Ooops! I meant a union, not a merge!
>
>"In the case of simple entailment, if the scoping graph G' is such
>that it does not share blank nodes with BGP, then the above
>definition can be simplified to take the union between G' and BGP,
>instead of an OrderedMerge."

This works for any kind of entailment, which is why I prefer the
simpler wording: and then we don't need this odd notion of ordered
merging at all. In fact, I'd suggest that the simpler wording should
be normative, as it expresses the intended meaning more directly and
straightforwardly. Also, it keeps distinct issues separate. Exactly
how an engine handles bnode scoping (what gets re-written, or maybe
use hash-tables, whatever) really is an implementation decision. We
shouldn't build into the entailment clause what is in effect an
implicit decision about how to implement bnode scoping.

Pat

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell