Re: HTTP Status Codes for QueryRequestRefused

On Jan 10, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> (From the client's point of view, I read "refuse" as covering all
> and any circumstances other than a bad request when a service is
> not going to execute a request.  "Unable" because of some issue
> like local security policy is a refusal).

Hmm, okay, then that's the bit we need to tweak. I have understood
all along -- especially given the other bit which you never quote or
seem to acknowledge: "The QueryRequestRefused fault message does not
indicate whether the server may or may not process a subsequent,
identical request or requests." -- that QueryRequestRefused is for
policy refusals, not for anything else.

In yr example, WSDL faults are an open set, and the usual or ordinary
HTTP status code for security issue (403 perhpas?) is perfectly legal
to return. Honestly, Andy, let's find some other way to fix this
because I have no more confidence that I'm going to convince you than
you probably have of convincing me. Or, put another way, I'm very
unlikely to be convinced of yr position, at least not w/out something
new.

Would making the "refusal for reasons of policy" more explicit help you?

Cheers,
Kendall
--
You're part of the human race