Re: comment "Named- and background graphs, triples vs quads, trust, etc." on SOURCE, fromUnionQuery

Thompson, Bryan B. wrote:
> Let me suggest that perhaps this entire notion of "publisher" is somewhat
> orthoganal to RDF query.  If you take SQL as an anology (as is done often
> in this WG), then database management is the level at which data sets are
> shaped and made available for integration within a query.  This is, I
> presume, the "web" side to which Andy is referring - that these RDF graphs
> may exist 'on the web' rather than solely within the confines of a managed
> database.

Just some clarification. The publisher is the person/organisation making the
data available.  So making the NCI ontology queriable over the web is
"publishing".  Th esimplest case is a fixed dataset provided by a publisher.
The service description could say what's in the dataset.  It's a "take it or
leave it" option to the querying application.

It may be not the best term - but I wanted something that did not imply that the
  application consuming the information and the entity providing the information
were necessarily connected.

Putting up a web page is publishing. The data management is not necessarily web
accessible - not one the information consumer has any access to.

 Andy