Re: Can we have interoperability without a formal semantics? (Was RE: Comments list comments)

Thompson, Bryan B. wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Don't you think that we will need to have a formal semantics in order to
> achieve interoperability?  Test cases at the inputs and outputs level can
> go some distance toward identifying problems, but there are always the
> possible misunderstandings and edge conditions that are not covered by the
> test cases, are not part of any conformance suite, and will be the source
> of interoperability failure.  Without a formal semantics for SPARQL, how
> can we hope to have vendor interoperability?
>
> Our other concern arising from the absence of a formal semantics, is that
> SPARQL may be difficult to optimize, as was recently raised on the comments
> list[1,2],

Those messages don't lead there.

SQL very carefully puts the constraints syntactically and semantically separate
from the joins.  SPARQL does the same - it does not do it the same way.

SPARQL happens to allow the application writer to place constraints close to the
point where they are used rather than syntactally separately.  The "A filter
constraint must have the variables it uses bound to values first, if possible
..." is merely to explain what happnes when the application writer writes:

    ?v < 3 .
    :x :p ?v .

If we take cwm, it does not blindly execute "?v math:lessThan 3" just because it
came first.  A SPARQL query processor can move them around to its hearts content
providing it gets the same answers.

One way of defining "same" is by having a canonical order.

Taking /2005Mar/0042, I understood Steve is planning outer join for optionals.
That is a well understood area - even better, some system can use existing
systems directly.

There is a tradeoff in expressivity and performance.  We don't write assembler
yet it does faster.  We could choose to optimize the design solely for the
implementer - but the support costs will be very significant.  We could choose
to purely optimize the design for exprssivity of user problems - but then we end
up in a mess as ragrads to interaction of features.  What we have so far is a
balance of thw two.

 Andy