Re: Definition of "RDF dataset"

Alberto Reggiori wrote:

> Andy,
>
> We find this proposal appealing and it seems covering all our use-cases
> for source/provenance/context we have been dealing with (and not
> considering the named-graph possibly identified by a bNode).
>
> The distinction between the background graph and named-graphs is a good
> one.
>
> We would rather leave the trust/untrust terminology on some higher level
> RDF vocabulary to be wrapped around the model you are proposing.

Agreed - the area of "trust" is much wider than query and the requirements
it would place on query aren't clear to me today.  Therefore, viewing it as
a higher level seems appropriate at the moment.  I now see that there are
some common use cases but it is too early propose an approach that
restricts, or makes inconvenient, other approaches while there is still so
much experimentation to be done.

> About the syntax proposed in the current spec (directly derived from the
> f2f discussion) is good to keep the distinction between querying the
> RDF-dataset and describing it into the query itself. Even though we find
> the term LOAD a bit misleading (e.g. it would map for an implementation
> to a DBI/JDBC connect method) and we keep on liking FROM. Perhaps
> qualified with some AS/NAMED keyword instead of distinguish between LOAD
> and FROM. We think that the FROM keyword as proposed is just a
> "modifier" of the actual LOAD (which could trigger implementation
> specific things to deal with named-graphs). So we would propose
> s/LOAD/FROM/ s/FROM/FROM NAMED/ or s/FROM/FROM AS/

I hope splitting out the sections into dataset, GRAPH and directives means
we can not get into a big interconnected decision space.

DaveB suggested s/LOAD/WITH/ to remove an implication of a permanent change
to the RDF store beyond the lifetime of the query.

> To conclude, independently from the purely syntactic discussion, we
> support the proposal

Great.

There are still the syntax issues around LOAD/FROM/WITH/... Section "9
Specifying RDF Datasets" is awaiting a reworking in the light of discussions
and a sense of whether sections 7 (dataset) and 8 (GRAPH) work for people.
It may even be better to say nothing about these directives, rather than
have a set that favours one trust approach over another.

I think an important factor will be the relationship to the protocol.  It's
been observed before that this "protocol" (in the widest sense to include
API).  The service description may help (it's too early to judge) -- or it
may be just a tempting place to put tricky issues!

I'm glad you can see how to get your use cases built on the basic conceptual
model of the RDF dataset.

	Andy