Re: Test cases: source of a triple

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 10:28:40AM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 06:37:58 +0100, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> > My next example (3) then highlights an interaction of SOURCE and inference
> > if we attempt to use the natural result from case 2.  Others advocate that
> > SOURCE reflect the origin graph in the aggregation.  What if it can arise
> > across the aggregations? Are we saying that inference *can't* be done in
> > this case?
>
> I havent seen anyone else argue for inferred triples being the the graph
> of one of the ground triples that lead to the inference. It seems like an
> odd decision.
>
> If you place inferred triples in another SOURCE/graph (which seems
> reasonable to me) then these problems go away.

I propose that we not worry about where the inferences go -- leave
that to the various engines. They can associate them with whatever
URI or bnode they want. Further, they can add a bunch of proof
properties if they want. Some group can define those properties
after they've been better explored, just as they could say that

  SOURCE ?foo (?p ?s ?o)
really means
  ?rt rdf:predicate ?p.
  ?rt rdf:subject ?s.
  ?rt rdf:object ?o.
  ?rt rdf2:label ?foo.

By defining a syntax by which our language gets at this provenance
data, we get to duck the hard questions of how that provenance data
projects into the RDF world. Call me a coward, but that seems like
a good idea to me.
--
-eric

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520
                        JAPAN
cell:   +1.857.222.5741 (does not work in Asia)

(eric@w3.org)
email address distribution.