RE: I can accept... (Was: Re: Objective 4.6: additional semantic knowledge)

>The proposed rewording of my proposed rewording seems to be nothing but
>a removal of the reference to SWRL. I included that language in the list
>quite intentionally--I felt it was important to include a language that
>can be used to describe RDF models but does NOT necessarily have any RDF
>encoding.
>
>Why are we working so hard to make sure not to mention SWRL?

I'm all for mentioning it, but lets be careful to understand what
that reference would mean. I don't think it is part of our charter,
or a rational goal, to expect to get back references to rules
themselves as responses to queries. That is, I don't think we should
be querying SWRL rule-sets in the same way we query RDF graphs.  I
think it does make sense, and could be part of our charter, to expect
that an engine responding to an RDF query might use SWRL rules to
help answer the queries, by 'connecting' a query to some RDF data
source by applying SWRL rules. But since SWRL applies to OWL and OWL
is interchanged using RDF, this would not require us to consider
queries about languages which do not have RDF encodings.

I imagine that this distinction lies behind the classification of RDF
and OWL as 'semantic languages' rather than 'rule languages' (??)

Pat

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell