Re: SPARQL 1.1 Service Description comment

On Nov 16, 2011, at 5:07 PM, Toby Inkster wrote:

> I've been working on a DataWiki recently. This is basically a wiki
> where each page is not a traditional document, but an RDF graph.
>
> Rather than having a single endpoint for querying, each graph URI is
> its own endpoint. So to query this graph:
>
> 	http://example.com/mydata
>
> You'd send the query like this:
>
> 	http://example.com/mydata?query=SELECT...
>
> Apparently to comply with SD, I'd need to add the SD to every request
> for <http://example.com/mydata>. But as <http://example.com/mydata> is
> the graph URI, I don't want to pollute GET requests to it with SD
> triples.
>
> Ideally I'd like to only return the SD in return to a request using the
> HTTP "OPTIONS" method, and not "GET".

Toby,

The working group considered returning a service description for an OPTIONS request, but decided against it primarily due to limited support in existing tools and due to responses not being cacheable. This was discussed in a WG meeting here:

http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/meeting/2009-09-15#Service_Description

As well as in email threads on the WG mailing list around the same time.

We would be grateful if you would acknowledge that your comments have been answered by sending a reply to this mailing list.

Regards, Gregory Williams, on behalf of the SPARQL WG.