Re: rdfs:Graph ? comment on http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#section-dataset and issue 35

On Sep 7, 2013, at 8:06 AM, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:

> Hmmm.     Maybe all you're looking for here is a few, informal words that don't affect the formal semantics?
>
> Can you propose a specific text change that would address your concern?

Reviewing the arguments on both sides, I get the impression that there would be opposition to words that were not restricted in scope.
So, I will make two different proposals both of which would minimally address my concerns by modifying RDF Concepts, rather than Semantics.
Proposal 1)  is a normative, if woolly, proposal for graph naming. Proposal 2) is a normative, but opt-in, mechanism for graph naming. Logically proposal (2) should be more palatable …

Document being reviewed:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-rdf11-concepts-20130723/

1)

Concepts, section 1.5

After
"Like all resources, RDF sources may be named with IRIs and therefore described in other RDF graphs."
append, in the same paragraph.
[[
RDF graphs in turn, can be named with IRIs, and also described in themselves or other RDF graphs.
Two mechanisms for naming RDF graphs are: a) if the graph is the only graph in an RDF source or b) if the
graph is named with an IRI in an RDF dataset.
]]

2)

This text defines a new class. All things being equal, this should go into RDF Vocabulary, but since the WG has not needed to change that document, this proposal suggests a new class rdf:Graph as opposed to rdfs:Graph, to be defined in RDF Concepts, as opposed to RDF Vocabulary.

Add section 3.7

[[
3.7 The rdf:Graph class

This section defines a vocabulary item rdf:Graph in addition to those in [RDF-SCHEMA].
This is the class of resources that are RDF graphs. If a resource in this class is identified by an IRI, and that IRI is used to name a graph in a dataset, then within that dataset the resource SHOULD correspond to the named graph.
]]

Stylistically this is intended to be like RDF Vocabulary, the editors might see fit to mangle that stylistic choice considerably.

Jeremy