Re: What is Oracle's objection to the use of Turtle as R2RML syntax?

I was talking about OWL (10-Feb-2004: http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-features/), which did not specify a syntax. -- Souri.

----- Original Message -----
From: juanfederico@gmail.com
To: richard@cyganiak.de
Cc: souripriya.das@oracle.com, kidehen@openlinksw.com, public-rdb2rdf-wg@w3.org
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:44:35 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: What is Oracle's objection to the use of Turtle as R2RML syntax?

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 5:23 AM, Richard Cyganiak < richard@cyganiak.de > wrote:

Souri,

On 13 Dec 2011, at 23:40, Souripriya Das wrote:
> OWL too was called a language, "Web Ontology Language". But, it just defined a vocabulary. It did not define any syntax.

OWL defines three new syntaxes:

http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/
http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-xml-serialization/
http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-manchester-syntax/

> One can use any RDF syntax (RDF/XML, N-Triple, ...) for OWL.

[[
As noted above, any conformant OWL 2 tool MUST accept ontology documents using the RDF/XML serialization … A conformant OWL 2 tool MAY also accept ontology documents using other serializations, for example Turtle
]]
http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-conformance/#Tool_Conformance

RDF/XML is the single normative OWL syntax. My desire is to have a single normative R2RML syntax (but it should be Turtle rather than the outdated and in many ways broken RDF/XML).

Ok. I'm now convinced. If RDF/XML is the single normative OWL syntax, then there should be a single normative R2RML syntax too... and RDF/XML is too complicated for this. So you got my vote for Turtle to be the "single normative R2RML syntax".

However, other syntaxes *should* be supported by implementations. R2RML is basically a vocabulary. Written in Turtle, it looks like a language, but it's still a vocabulary. R2RML mappings are instantiations of this vocabulary. So technically, I can import the R2RML vocabulary into an ontology editor, and use the ontology editor to create the mappings. Does this really work right now? I don't know. Will people actually do this? I don't know. But it could. And all these tools support different syntaxes. So if I were to create an R2RML mapping using an existing ontology editor tool, export it as RDF/XML and send it to somebody else and they open it in an R2RML specific tool.. everything should work.

Best,
Richard