Re: Comments needed – Re: Lookup table proposal (re ISSUE-72)

Juan,

See inline for response.

On 13 Dec 2011, at 19:41, Juan Sequeda wrote:
> [...]
>
> Perhaps more importantly, users already familiar with SKOS would wonder why they can only use skos:exactMatch but not skos:broadMatch, and would consider it an error to map “thai” to “asian” using skos:exactMatch.
>
> >> This might be followed by an example like this:
> >>
> >> +------+------------------------------------------+
> >> | Code | IRI                                      |
> >> +------+------------------------------------------+
> >> | 1    | http://chef.example.com/cuisines/indian  |
> >> | 2    | http://chef.example.com/cuisines/thai    |
> >> | 3    | http://chef.example.com/cuisines/italian |
> >> +------+------------------------------------------+
> >
> > I'm guessing this is not part of the RDB. This is what I want to map to, right?
>
> Yes, exactly.
>
> >> []  rr:column "cuisine";
> >>     rr:translationScheme <#cuisineScheme>.
> >>
> >> []  skos:inScheme <#cuisineScheme>;
> >>     skos:notation 1;
> >>     skos:exactMatch <http://chef.example.com/cuisines/indian>.
> >>
> >> []  skos:inScheme <#cuisineScheme>;
> >>     skos:notation 2;
> >>     skos:exactMatch <http://chef.example.com/cuisines/thai>.
> >>
> >> []  skos:inScheme <#cuisineScheme>;
> >>     skos:notation 3;
> >>     skos:exactMatch <http://chef.example.com/cuisines/italian>.
> >

> > This notation is different from: http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/drafts/translation-tables-DERI2.html
>
> Yes, that proposal is nice and compact, but doesn't work if multiple code tables are mapped to the same concept scheme as Souri pointed out. I have held off on writing a new proposal as it's unclear what features Oracle considers essential and what not.
>
> >> Is there a full example with the entire mapping. Let's say Restaurant Name and Cuisine.
> >>
> >> Ex 1:
> >>
> >> Restaurant(id, name, cuisine_id)
> >> Cuisine(id, cuisine)
>
> I'm going to ignore the Cuisine table. We want to re-use standard identifiers for the different cuisine types, and I assume that those standard identifiers already come with their own labels and descriptions that I can download in RDF. So all I really need is to map the cuisine IDs to the standard identifiers. That's already achieved using the <#cuisineScheme> above, so I'll just use that:
>
> []  rr:logicalTable [ rr:tableName "Restaurant" ];
>    rr:subjectMap [ rr:template "/restaurant/{id}" ];
>    rr:class ex:Restaurant;
>    rr:predicateObjectMap [
>        rr:property ex:name;
>        rr:objectMap [ rr:column "name" ];
>    ];
>    rr:predicateObjectMap [
>        rr:property ex:cuisine;
>        rr:objectMap [
>            rr:column "cuisine";
>            rr:translationScheme <#cuisineScheme>;
>        ];
>    ].
>

> But where is  <#cuisineScheme> described?

As I said – above! Just scroll up!

> I assume that should be somewhere as the subject.

Why? You can describe a resource without it ever appearing as subject as long as none of the descriptions are literals. The <#cuisineScheme> resource just groups the concepts together into one scheme, so it doesn't need to appear as subject. You can describe it with additional triples if you like, but that would have no effect on R2RML processing:

    <#cuisineScheme> a skos:ConceptScheme;
        skos:prefLabel "Cuisine translation scheme".
        skos:note """Maps the cuisine IDs found in Restaurant.cuisine_id to
                     standard cuisine identifiers in the chef.example.com
                     namespace.""".

Best,
Richard