Re: What is Oracle's objection to the use of Turtle as R2RML syntax?

On 12/13/11 11:34 AM, Souripriya Das wrote:
> There are currently two proposed options:
> 1) Turtle-syntax-MUST
> 2) one-w3c-RDF-syntax-MUST
>
> The Turtle-syntax-MUST option does not support any syntax other than
> Turtle for the R2RML mapping documents
> while the one-w3c-RDF-syntax-MUST option only requires at least one of
> the (W3C Recommendation) RDF syntaxes be used for R2RML mapping documents
> (while, because of the Turtle-convertibility,  still allowing the test
> cases, tutorials, books, etc. to be written in Turtle).
>
> Again, here is the one-w3c-RDF-syntax-MUST proposal:
> [[
> An R2RML mapping document is any document that encodes an R2RML
> mapping graph and
> is written in any RDF syntax that is a W3C Recommendation and that can
> be converted to Turtle.
> ]]
> (By "Turtle" we mean the future Turtle W3C Recommendation)
>
> The following can be said about the effect of using the above proposal:
>
> ------------------
> Consider an R2RML mapping document written in RDF/XML syntax:
> - Is it a conforming R2RML mapping document?
> YES. (for Turtle-syntax-MUST: NO)
> - Why?
> Because one can convert the document to generate an equivalent
> document written in Turtle syntax.
>
> ---------------------
> Consider an R2RML mapping processor which ONLY accepts R2RML mapping
> documents written in RDF/XML syntax:
> - Is it a conforming R2RML mapping processor?
> YES. (for Turtle-syntax-MUST: YES)
> - Why?
> Because it accepts all conforming R2RML mapping documents, written in
> RDF/XML syntax.
>
> ---------------------
> Testing for conformance of an R2RML mapping processor that ONLY
> accepts RDF/XML documents:
>
> For each test in "tests for conformance"
> 1) obtain the mapping documents (written in Turtle syntax)
> 2) Convert these Turtle-syntax mapping documents into RDF/XML syntax
> (assuming this is possible)
> 3) Process the converted documents
> 4) Run the corresponding SPARQL queries from "tests for conformance"
> and compare the results
> 5) If query results match, then this processor is indeed a conforming
> R2RML mapping processor
>
> ---------------------
> Sharing of an R2RML mapping document between two non-overlapping
> syntax accepting processors:
> - MappingProcessor1 accepts ONLY RDF/XML and MappingProcessor2 accepts
> ONLY N-Triples
> - an R2RML mapping document (written in RDF/XML) and used at
> MappingProcessor1 is to be shared with MappingProcessor2
> - convert the mapping document into an equivalent N-Triples document
> (via Turtle, if direct conversion is not possible)
> - present the N-Triples R2RML mapping document to MappingProcessor2

Put differently, should an R2RML processor be expected to support
content negotiation? I guess that's an implementation specific detail
rather than one for the spec.

I think we need to be clear about the fact that R2RML is a Language that
leverages RDF's underlying Data Model which is distinct from the variety
of syntaxes and serialization formats associated with the RDF model. In
a nutshell, R2RML is a Domain Specific Language (DSL).

You write R2RML mappings using the R2RML language which happens to be
Turtle. Thus, this issue really boils down a clear definition of R2ML so
that it doesn't get intermingled with RDF in general.

Souri: R2RML should only be about mappings using its syntax (which
happens to be Turtle). Of course, as per comments above, a specific
processor could decide to do translation in the middle, but from a
language spec perspective, Richard's position is cleaner.

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen