RE: [XSLT2] xsl:number difference in XSLT2 and XSLT1 when using from

Thanks for the comment.

Personal response: It's really difficult to work out what XSLT 1.0 intends
to happen in corner cases. I've spent many hours studying the exact words,
and the only conclusion I can come to is that they don't make sense if taken
literally. In particular, I think one needs to read the paragraph as a
whole:

When level="single", it goes up to the first node in the ancestor-or-self
axis that matches the count pattern, and constructs a list of length one
containing one plus the number of preceding siblings of that ancestor that
match the count pattern. If there is no such ancestor, it constructs an
empty list. If the from attribute is specified, then the only ancestors that
are searched are those that are descendants of the nearest ancestor that
matches the from pattern. Preceding siblings has the same meaning here as
with the preceding-sibling axis.

Note here the switch from "node in the ancestor-or-self axis" to "preceding
siblings of that ancestor" and "no such ancestor". It seems clear that these
two references to "ancestor" should be read as "ancestor-or-self". This then
suggests that "only ancestors" and "nearest ancestor" should be read as
"only ancestors-or-self" and "nearest ancestor-or-self"; and having fixed
those problems, one then has to ask whether "descendants" should also be
read as "descendants-or-self".

I'm not suggesting that your reading of the 1.0 spec here is incorrect, only
that many different readings of it are possible. Faced with that situation,
we tried to focus on defining rules for 2.0 that were unambiguous, hopefully
reasonably intuitive, and backwards compatible in the cases that mattered.

Michael Kay

  _____