RE: [DM]Relative order of Attribute Nodes

From: Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:34:00 -0000
To: "'Mukul Gandhi'" <mukul_gandhi@yahoo.com>, "'Michael Rys'" <mrys@microsoft.com>, <public-qt-comments@w3.org>

> Thanks for the answer. I am now curious, why XML
> attributes have this characteristic..

That's a historical question: you might get a better answer from the SGML
folks on xml-dev. There is, I think, a very strong consensus in the XML
world that elements are ordered but attributes are not - though I don't
think there is anything in the XML spec itself that says so. However, you
will find this consensus reflected in most processing models and APIs for
XML. It derives, I think, from the traditional use of elements to represent
the visible text in a document and attributes to represent its typographical
properties.