Re: [FO] error in fn:substring-before

Doug,

Many thanks for the report.  Happily, this bug has been noticed already and
the example has been fixed to accurately reflect the behavioral description.

Thanks again!
   Jim

At 07:36 AM 6/10/2004 Thursday, Douglas Petkanics wrote:

>In the functions and operators document, section 7.5.4.1, the function
>fn:substring-before has the following error:
>
>Definition:
>|fn:substring-before|(|$arg1|| as ||xs:string?|, |$arg2|| as
>||xs:string?|)| as ||xs:string|
>|Behavior description: |
>||If the value of |$arg2| is the zero-length string, then the function
>returns the zero-length string.
>Example given:
>|fn:substring-before("Baloney!","")| returns "|Baloney!|".
>
>In the example, $arg2 is given as the 0 length string, however this
>returns the word Baloney. The behavioral description states that it should
>return the 0 length string. Am I misunderstanding?
>
>Thanks,
>Doug

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive      Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063              Personal email: jim at melton dot name
USA                                                Fax : +1.801.942.3345
=  Facts are facts.  However, any opinions expressed are the opinions  =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =