Re: XQuery

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 06:43:49AM +0200, Kay, Michael wrote:
[...]
> I would argue that there is no error here. In the digital version of
> the UK 1881 census, age in years is represented as an integer, e.g. 3, and
> age in months for infants is represented as a string in the form "3m". In
> XML Schema, we would model it as a union type.

I think I'd argue that one should test for the units (m for months)
before using the value as a number here, although testing for the
string 3m also seems sensible if it's really what one wants.

There's a grey area between the forgivingness of an untyped
scripting language and the robustness of strong typing...

It might also be that current users of XSLT migt have different
expectations from XQuery users, too, I don't know.

But maybe we should just agree to differ :-)

Best,

Liam

[I trimmed the cc list where I think people are already on the list]

--
Liam Quin, W3C XML Activity Lead,
liam at w3.org, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/