RE: TR/xquery-operators/#func-doc

Dave,

We (perhaps obviously) did not expect that readers would be confused by the
current wording, saying that doc() replaced document() in the *joint* XPath
2.0 and XQuery 1.0 F&O spec, while the doc() function that is not going to
be available in XQuery will be published in the XSLT 2.0 spec, where it
will be available.

Are you requesting a different explanation of this choice?  Or are you
requesting that all XSLT-specific functions be specified in the joint F&O
spec with some sort of flag indicating that the function is unavailable in
XQuery (and, presumably, all non-XSLT-available functions used by XQuery
similarly specified in F&O with such a flag)?  Or are you simply objecting
to provision of a new function with semantics that XQuery users want and
need?  I don't think that you're suggesting that we choose exactly one of
the two functions and jettison the other, because there are real users that
need each of them; similarly, I think you'd be more unhappy if we chose to
jettison your favorite function function!

I apologize for not understanding your intent, so any help in improving my
understanding will be appreciated.

Hope this helps,
    Jim

At 10:20 2003-05-16 +0100 Friday, David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk wrote:

>MK said:
>
> > > I dislike this change.
> > >
> > > E.g. when moving from a workstation development to a server,
> > > the file location will need changing? Yes, it can be worked
> > > round. The elegance of document('') is now well known and of
> > > great utility.
> > >
> > > Seems a bad decision to change it.
> > >

> > But we haven't changed it! Calling document("") in XSLT 2.0
> > works exactly
> > the way it always did.
>
>Quote:
>http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/
>The fn:document() function has been replaced by a much simpler function
>called fn:doc().
>
>Quote.
>http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/  16.1
>
>It [document()] has now been replaced in the core function library by the
>much simpler doc function. The original document function therefore moves
>back into the XSLT specification,
>

>Confusing for the reader?
>Assuming the document title is correct,
>"XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 Functions and Operators,"
>then I guess the doc() function will be available in xpath 2.0?
>So users will have two functions 'nearly' doing the same thing.
>
>I still think its a bad decision.
>
>regards DaveP
>

>-
>
>NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is
>confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
>intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
>disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
>you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
>immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
>system.
>
>RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
>attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
>cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
>transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.
>
>Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email
>and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily
>represent those of RNIB.
>
>RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227
>
>Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
Oracle Corporation            Oracle Email: mailto:jim.melton@oracle.com
1930 Viscounti Drive          Standards email: mailto:jim.melton@acm.org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063              Personal email: mailto:jim@melton.name
USA                                                Fax : +1.801.942.3345
=  Facts are facts.  However, any opinions expressed are the opinions  =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =