RE: ORA-FO-FN-NAMES 1.6, 5.2

From: Ashok Malhotra <ashokma@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:46:27 -0700
To: "Stephen Buxton" <stephen.buxton@oracle.com>, <public-qt-comments@w3.org>
Steve:

Thank you for your comment:

This is a complicated question and I will try and give you a detailed
reply.  First I will argue that conflicts will not happen.

Then I will spell out what happens if they do.

Derived types are contained in a Schema.  The constructor for the
derived type will be referred to by the prefix for the

schema and the local name of the derived type e.g. mySchema:hatsize.  As
we decided today, functions defined in

the main module will be prefixed with local: and if defined in a module
by the prefix for the module.  So, unless the

user makes an error, it is very unlikely that a Schema and a module will
have the same prefix.

But what if the user does make an error and dynamically binds prefixes
to URIs and creates a my:hatsize constructor

and a my:hatsize function.  I do not know if this will be caught by
static type checking.  I doubt it.  Dynamically, when the

Query encounters my:hatsize, the prefix my: will be bound to some URI
and this will tell it what to execute.

If someone has a better story on how such an error can be caught I would
like to hear it.

All the best, Ashok