Re: [DM] white space

I would add that it's naïve to anthropomorphize companies or committees as
if they had a single opinion on technical subjects, when in reality these
groups are made up of many different individuals with many different
viewpoints and voices.  Committees may sometimes decide to speak with a
unified voice (companies rarely do) but even then they are rarely unified
internally.

To suggest that Microsoft or the W3C or any other large organization has
some kind of detailed unified agenda is just dumb.

As for whitespace handling in particular implementations like MSXML, this is
clearly a topic for another forum (like the microsoft.public.xml newsgroup).
[Every MSXML whitespace issue I know of has to do with the separation
between the XSLT implementation and the XML parser implementation -- to
support XSLT processing requirements, the XML parser exposes whitespace
handling options not found in (or required by) XML itself.]

But understand that over most relational databases whitespace becomes
problematic, because fixed-width columns are padded with spaces and
collations sometimes render whitespace insignificant.

So within the W3C Working Group, when it comes to whitespace handling, you
clearly have at least three different factions with different requirements:
  1. Those who are using an existing XML parser and are limited by their
implementation in what options they can support
  2. Those who are writing a new XML parser/loader and find one particular
implementation choice easier than another
  3. Those who are implementing XQuery over relational databases and are
limited in what they can support

Meanwhile, you've got at least two different camps of XML users, some
(document-centric) who care deeply about whitespace and some (data-centric)
who couldn't care less, if anything whitespace gets in their way.

You've got the XML 1.0 spec which clearly preserves some whitespace, loses
some whitespace (like between attributes), and normalizes some whitespace
(like line endings).  You've got the XML 1.1 spec which does things
differently (including adding new whitespace characters).  You've got other
XML specs (like XSLT) which merge adjacent text nodes, drop empty text
nodes, and allow whitespace nodes in the query syntax to be dropped. You've
got characters like   that are not whitespace in the XML standards, but
are whitespace in most XML applications (such as browsers).

Whitespace handling is just not as cut-and-dried as some people make it out
to be.

Cheers,
michael