Re: Preparing to close some Community Groups; please review by 17 October

Bill Kasdorf wrote on 16/10/2023 18:49:
> This is fine by me. After my usual enthusiastic response to your
> email, Ivan, I had second thoughts anyway about the viability of
> continuing the two I commented on.
>
> I agree with Tzviya's observation that scholarly publishing is bound
> to JATS. She's right, JATS4R is the place for any mapping to be done,
> not the W3C. And absolutely no subsetting of HTML is appropriate. Even
> the new CP/LD standard from NISO specifically uses the always-current
> version of HTML with no limitations.
>
> One observation wrt the mapping issue: this is obviously done
> (differently) by all the leading journal hosting platforms. They all
> require JATS XML (to their specification) as input, and they all
> convert it to HTML for online rendering. It would be interesting to
> see how much commonality, or lack thereof, is in those conversions.
> But it's not likely any group in the W3C would do this.
I do not know that market, its players, etc, but I would not dismiss to
do this at W3C. We certainly have the expertise of both XML and HTML...
But I am not sure whether (a) there is an interest of harmonization and
(b) there are players out there (companies and individuals) that we
could reach out to on that subject. I would certainly be interested to
move this forward.

But that is another matter. I think we all agree that the CG of today is
dead. Sniff...

Ivan

> --Bill
>
> On 2023-10-16 12:33, Ivan Herman wrote:
>> We have time until tomorrow to decide.
>>
>> At this moment, my personal opinion is that the only CG that I would
>> consider keeping is the synchronized multimedia one. I know that
>> Marisa was fairly active for a while and had a draft document in a
>> decent state. Avneesh & George, how important is this work from an
>> accessibility perspective?
>>
>> It is unfortunately true that the others have very little activity
>> and I don't see any chance to get anything done. See what Tzviya said
>> about the scholarly html CG; as for the research objects, some of the
>> core researchers at the Uni of Southampton have left for other
>> pastures and the focus of the work is now more by NIST.
>>
>> Ivan
>>
>> ——
>> Ivan Herman
>> +33 652 46 00 43
>>
>> (Written on my iPad. Excuses for brevity and misspellings...)
>>
>>> On 16 Oct 2023, at 14:49, Siegman, Tzviya <tsiegman@wiley.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think that Scholarly HTML can succeed unless it is mapped
>>> to JATS. So, I don't think it's worth continuing this CG. HTML does
>>> not need to be subset. RDFa etc is too complex for some publishers
>>> and not close enough to JATS for others. I know this sounds
>>> pessimistic, but the scholarly world is bound to JATS. If the JATS4R
>>> committee is interested in a mapping, this can be accomplished, and
>>> I would absolutely make time for it.
>>>
>>> Tzviya Siegman
>>> Information Standards Principal
>>> Wiley