Re: PROV-ISSUE-627 (URI-specified-or-REST): Should PROV-AQ specify PROV service URI or always use template?

A key element of the current design is that it permits (but does not require) conneg as a mechanism to select alternative service description semantics.  Using RDF raises some challenges because it has multiple content types corresponding to syntactic variations, so using conneg for semantic alternatives  in RDF is less easy.  (e.g. A different "+xyz" suffix for each RDF syntax seems cumbersome.)

My view is that the nature of RDF allows an additional selection mechanism to be applied within the RDF data.  Conneg is still usable, but in RDF vocabulary-driven mechanisms can be used.  Like RDF types or the property-based approach Stian proposes.

But using conneg or not seems to me to be somewhat orthogonal to whether we should be trying to fix the URI patterns that a provenance service responds to.  REST principles clearly say not.  I think we've taken a clear step down the REST path, which seems appropriate to me for a Web specification, so I would urge sticking to those principles for maximum flexibility and evolvability.

#g.