Re: Primary Source again (Re: PROV-ISSUE-518: Data Model Section 5.2.4 ) [prov-dm]

I like it.

Paul

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Luc Moreau <l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> All,
> Here is a proposed answer to this issue. When Tim confirms he is OK, I will
> implement it.
> Comments, feedback?
> regards,
> Luc
>
> ISSUE-518 (PrimarySource)
>
> Original email:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-prov-wg/2012Sep/0108.html
> Tracker: http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/518
> Group Response
>
> Following the author's suggestion the Working group proposes to revise the
> definition of Primary Source as follows:
>
> A primary source is a derivation from an entity that was produced by some
> agent with direct experience and knowledge about the entity's conceptual
> topic, at the time of the topic's study, without benefit of hindsight.
>
> We also propose to add the following comment, inspired by this issue:
>
> It is also important to note that a given entity might be a primary source
> for one entity but not another. It the reason why Primary Source is defined
> as a relation as opposed to a subtype of Entity.

> Original author's acknowledgement:
>

> On 25/09/2012 19:25, Paul Groth wrote:
>
> I'm fine with it.
>
> An interesting note in your response, is that we use a relation and
> not a subtype because of the "context" issue that was brought up.
>
> cheers
> Paul
>
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>

> Would be nice if Paul and Tim could confirm they are fine.
>
> Professor Luc Moreau
> Electronics and Computer Science
> University of Southampton
> Southampton SO17 1BJ
> United Kingdom
>

> On 25 Sep 2012, at 18:01, "Stephan Zednik"
> <zednis@rpi.edu<mailto:zednis@rpi.edu>> wrote:
>
> That reads ok to me.
>
> --Stephan
>
> On Sep 25, 2012, at 10:57 AM, Luc Moreau
> <l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk<mailto:l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
> HI Stephan,
>
> I would just drop "relation" (because we define the concept) and
> "represents":
>
> A primary source is a derivation from an entity that was produced by some
> agent with direct experience and knowledge about the entity's conceptual
> topic, at the time of the topic's study, without benefit of hindsight.
>
> Luc
>
> On 09/25/2012 05:48 PM, Stephan Zednik wrote:
> How is this?
>
> A primary source relation represents a derivation from an entity that was
> produced by some agent with direct experience and knowledge about the
> entity's conceptual topic, at the time of the topic's study, without benefit
> of hindsight.
>
> --Stephan
>
> On Sep 25, 2012, at 3:41 AM, Luc Moreau
> <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk<mailto:L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>> wrote:

> [...]

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
- Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group |
  Artificial Intelligence Section | Department of Computer Science
- The Network Institute
VU University Amsterdam