Re: PROV-ISSUE-568 (hadRole-domain): domain of prov:hadRole [Ontology]

Luc,

On Oct 23, 2012, at 5:44 AM, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Thanks for the explanation.  It is now clear that the document reflects what
> was intended.  I have a comment/question and suggestion.
>
> 1.  We came across this issue by writing a converter from rdf to other representations of PROV,
>   and making use of the "ontology compiler" elmo.
>   The resulting code allows us to write
>
>    ex:e2 prov:hadQualifiedDerivation ex:d1
>    ex:d1 prov:hadRole ex:r

I'm not familiar with how Elmo works.
I assume that Elmo is letting you specify prov:hadRole on any subclass of Influence?
If so, then I would suggest that the tool is misbehaving.
"auto-filling" subclasses of a domain can be a convenient trick, but it does not follow the semantics of rdfs:domain.

>   The appendix indicates that the multiple RDFS domains and ranges [RDF-SCHEMA]
>   for a property are interpreted as an intersection.

Yes.

>   Are you saying that these statements are *not* consistent with an OWL2 DL/Full profile of prov-o, but are consistent
>   with an OWL2 RL profile of prov-o?

I'm not making a distinction about consistency in any OWL profile; prov-o should be consistent in all OWL profiles.
All RDFS domains (i.e., the Influence and the union) are asserted in all profiles, but the unions are not recognized or applied in OWL-RL (according to OWL-RL's definition).

> 2. Given the importance of this appendix, I find it really buried.  The document is designed to allow browsing, but in
>    section https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/ontology/Overview.html#hadRole
>    there is no indication that one should read this appendix to fully understand prov:hadRole.

Agreed.

>    Can we add a forwarding pointer to the appendix next to prov:Influence, in the domain of prov:hadRole?

Good suggestion.

I added the rdfs:comment into the ontology http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/rev/37b3fc2c8796

which appears at http://aquarius.tw.rpi.edu/prov-wg/prov-o#hadRole

Do you have any suggestions on how to word the comment?

Regards,
Tim