Re: mentionOf in XML schema

Curt,

On Nov 29, 2012, at 9:46 AM, Curt Tilmes <Curt.Tilmes@nasa.gov> wrote:

> The PROV-LINKS note describes the XML representation of mentionOf.
>
> mentionOf has been commented out of the prov.xsd schema.
>
> If we are describing the XML representation of mentionOf, it seems
> like we should have the schema support validation of it. (I think
> we'll have a similar issue with the collection note.)
>
> I can think of a couple options:
>
> 1. Just keep mentionOf in the XSD schema as described in the note.

-1

> 2. Make a separate XSD ("prov-links.xsd"?) that imports prov.xsd,
> and additionally defines mentionOf.  Then you could validate against
> prov-links for things that included mentionOf.

+0

> 3. Make separate XSDs, one with the core, one with mention, one
> with collections, etc., then have prov.xsd import all of them.
> Then you can validate against the core if you want errors on
> uses of mention, or against the main prov.xsd if you wan the
> extensions from the notes.

+0.1

^^ This choice is what we're doing with OWL (prov-o.owl, prov-aq.owl, prov-mention.owl, prov-dictionaries.owl)

All 4 are going to be "concatenated" for prov.owl, which is what gets returned (with some dog food prov) when requesting the prov namespace (with RDF conneg): http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#

I'm hoping to implement the namespace OWL concat this today and/or tomorrow.

> Has this already been addressed some other way (I confess I am
> way behind on reading emails…)

Some *really* terrible working notes are at http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/ProvNamespaceManagement#Solution_2.2_Use_owl:import_and_return_full_merge_of_PROV-O_and_all_Notes

I'll clean them up as I work through the implementation.

Regards,
Tim