Re: Changes to prov:Dictionary

Luc,

On Jun 6, 2012, at 2:36 PM, Luc Moreau wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I dont understand this discussion.
>
> See example 50
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/prov-dm.html#example_50

http://aquarius.tw.rpi.edu/prov-wg/prov-o#derivedByInsertionFrom
has a prov-o example very similar to #example_50.

> We explicit list the contents of a dictionary after some insertion.

I agree with this example, what does it show that is wrong with prov-o?

> Definition 38 in prov-constraints define membership
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/prov-constraints.html#membership-as-insertion

Great.

> Disallowing complete membership seems to go against the definition of insertion.

How so?
"Insertion is a derivation that transforms a dictionary into another, by insertion of one or more key-entity pairs."

> Are you suggesting that we don't exactly know what is being inserted in a dictionary?

No, we know _exactly_ what is inserted into the dictionary. They inserted KeyValuePairs are listed right in the assertion.

What we're saying is that for any prov:Dictionary and for any N known members, there is no way to know if that prov:Dictionary only has N members, or if there are more.

Membership is alive and healthy in this last PROV-O update announced in this thread.

What is being proposed is that the class prov:CompleteDictionary (and DM's optional "complete" attribute)  be removed from PROV.

-Tim