Re: PROV-ISSUE-222 (used-objectproperty): Datatype property for used? [Ontology]

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 09:40, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker
<sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:

> PROV-ISSUE-222 (used-objectproperty): Datatype property for used? [Ontology]

> Raised by: Paul Groth
> On product: Ontology
>
> Currently, prov-o:used is defined as an objectproperty. This is fine. However, we've be doing some modeling here at the VU where the parameter to a program is a string. Currently, this is not modelled using a prov-o:used edge but it seems like it should be. Is there anyway we can support this?

I think in PROV-O this can easily be solved by using
http://www.w3.org/TR/Content-in-RDF10/ - I explored this briefly in
earlier Taverna-PROV-O experiments.

:activity a prov:Activity;
  prov:used [
  a prov:Entity, cnt:ContentAsText ;
  cnt:chars "The magic string" ;
]  .

Here we did not even bother giving the entity an URI. Of course it
would be good practice to give it a URI, even if it's just some
fragment within the account:

:activity a prov:Activity;
  prov:used :theMagicString .

:magicString
  a prov:Entity, cnt:ContentAsText ;
  cnt:chars "The magic string" .

(there's also cnt:ContentAsBase64 and cnt:bytes for verbose binaries,
and cnt:ContentAsXML for literal XMLs)

For PROV-DM we could introduce something like prov:value.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science