Re: Towards PROV-O Accounts

Hi Tim,

I took a quick look at this (your [1]), and I was OK with the basic structure
used, but I'm not understanding why there is so much focus on a name for the
abstract triples as opposed to a user-supplied name.

I'm guessing this may be related to a similar issue with digital signatures over
RDG graphs.  There has been work to apply such signatures to some
canonicalization or abstraction of the graph, but I don't see the necessity.  In
the real world, when one signs a document, one signs a *particular rendering* of
the document, and said signature can be used as evidence for agreement to the
abstract content of same.

I see something similar applying to account graph assertions:  if a user asserts
an account graph, they assert a *particular instance* (or maybe several) of that
graph.  If one trusts that user, then one may license inferences based on the
abstract content of the graph, and by extension inferences based on semantically
equivalent graph instances, but that's a separate issue IMO.

Why do I care about this?  I think that the essential nature of using named
graphs to control the scope of what provenance accounts are actually being
asserted (or treated as asserted for some purposes of provenance analysis) is
confused and muddied by the discussion of different graph instances and abstract
graph content.

PS: I don't know if it's at all relevant, but I made some personal notes a long
time ago about issues around using contexts for scoping assertions:

   http://www.ninebynine.org/RDFNotes/UsingContextsWithRDF.html

(It's kind of dated now; I use the term "formulae", from Notation3, to mean
roughly what we mean by named graphs.)