Re: formal semantics strawman

On Sep 15, 2011, at 5:24 PM, Myers, Jim wrote:

>> Just catching up on this now (it has been a busy week).  I agree with what I
>> understand to be Graham's larger point in referring to Frege (that we are
>> probably revisiting philosophical issues that we are unlikely to resolve).
>
> We don't need to resolve philosophical differences or revisit anything, but philosophies are essentially models of the world and we're picking a model. Philosophical discussions will give us a sense of what are model can/cannot (is good at/bad at) describing.

Agreed (and I definitely know I'm missing some of this background).

>> My starting point in the formal semantics is the common approach taken in
>> mathematical logic - i.e. one postulates a "real" world / domain of interest as
>> a mathematical structure.  One then introduces a language that one can use
>> to talk about the elements of the domain, along with a formal description of
>> how to interpret statements in the language as true or false of a given
>> model.  This carries some philosophical baggage (i.e. it embodies some
>> answers to the kinds of questions Frege considered that not everyone might
>> agree with).
>>
>> My take on entity (assertions) has been that they are statements meant to
>> describe (temporally bounded) invariant properties of things, which may or
>> may not uniquely identify the real things.  The things in the model have
>> identity over time independent of their properties (observable attributes),
>> and not necessarily tied to an explicit identifier in the syntax.
>>
>> Thus, in the divergence example of "X's blue car", if at one point X's car is a
>> blue Toyota and at another point a blue Ford, there are (at least) two
>> individuals in the world that are referred to as "X's car" at different times.  To
>> keep things consistent, we therefore need to take into account the time or
>> other context in which to interpret the statement "X's car is blue" - it may be
>> true both in 2000 when the car was a Toyota and in 2011 when it is a Ford, but
>> the reason it is true is different, because different things are involved.
>
> I think you're claiming that "X's car" is not a real thing.

Absolutely!  Let's be clear here:  "X's car", to me, is syntax (when I quote it) - an expression, which is real(izable) inasmuch as one can write it down or represent it using ASCII bits in an email; it's a Platonic (unchanging) thing, not a real, possibly changing thing.  "X's car" is a sentence, not a car!  The thing it denotes *is* real (if X has a car in whatever situation we're talking about, then "X's car" denotes that car; otherwise there is ambiguity or vacuity).

You seem not to be distinguishing between a statement one might make about a thing, and the thing itself (but perhaps I am just getting confused).  See below.

> Combining that philosophical view with the idea of taking things to the molecular level to get an identity relationship for a thing implies to me that "X's Toyota" is also not a thing - it's molecular composition is changing over time.  I think this type of paradox is embedded in the philosophical view of real things with asserted states/contexts.

This is exactly the kind of problem that we tried to address in the work on preservation, which is all about understanding change over time and invariance.  I'm comfortable with the idea of things having varying states over time, which may not be fully knowable or recordable (as suggested by the "v" function in the strawman, which is time dependent).  I certainly do mean that "X's Toyota" - the expression - is not a thing in the same sense as the car is.

>> Moreover, the context might also contain information that helps us
>> disambiguate X (John Smith whose SSN is 123-45-6789 as opposed to all the
>> other possible "John"s).
>
> This seems like a completely different topic - John Smith is not a unique identifier.

Agreed, the point is just that time is not the only context that might be needed to make sense of an expression like "X's car".

>> To me, the role of the identifier in an entity assertion is just to give us a name
>> (URI?) for the described thing, so that even if "X's blue car Y" doesn't
>> uniquely define which thing Y maps to, we can still make assertions about Y at
>> other points (possibly overlapping).  For example, we might want to say "In
>> 2000, X's blue car Y had 10,000 miles on its odometer" and "In 2001, X's blue
>> car Y had 20,000 miles on its odometer" and "Between 2000 and 2001, X's
>> blue car Y had fewer than 100,000 miles on its odometer", but not "In 2011,
>> X's blue car Y had 5,000 miles on its odometer" - we should use a different id
>> to refer to the different thing denoted by "X's blue car" in 2011.
>
> Why?

I am just saying that if "X's blue car in 2011" denotes a different (real) thing-over-time than "X's blue car in 2001", then it makes no sense to use the same identifier for both.  The example may have hidden this point.

> If I have a database of cars keyed by license plate #, it makes perfect sense to talk about the make, model, and odometer reading at different points in time.

Agreed (the first three example assertions, which I think are just fine, illustrate this).  Of course, different cars could have the same license plate numbers at different points in time too, so the database needs to be keyed by time.  I wasn't suggesting using license plate numbers in any case.

> I'm still identifying a car (license plates don't have odometers). To the state, this makes perfect sense because of the processes they care about (inspections, tickets, fees, etc.). If I care about physical processes, identifying the Ford and Toyota separately makes sense. Assuming we have a use case where the state wants to talk about the provenance of my car, how do we handle it? It appears that your answer is that they must use different identifiers.

If the state wants to talk about one car, you only need one identifier, as illustrated above.  If the state needs to talk about both cars (which may overlap in time), how can you get away with fewer than two identifiers?

For cars it would be conventional to assume that the VIN (or, for short-term situations, license plate numbers) uniquely identify a car (of course, car thieves subvert this convention all the time).  I wasn't trying to open that can of worms.

All I was saying is that I have been interpreting the "id" component of an entity assertion as purely syntactic, as a placeholder for "the thing I'm talking about in this assertion", so that I can make statements about (what I believe to be) the same thing at different instants in time or different properties of it at overlapping times.  The id could also happen to be a URI with some useful Web meaning, or not, and it could happen to be enough to uniquely identify the thing it denotes, or not.

>> Short of including full descriptions of the state of a real thing down to the
>> molecular level (and maybe its history), I don't really see how we can fully
>> enforce the idea that an entity assertion contains enough information to
>> uniquely identify the referred-to thing.  This leaves aside issues such as
>> containment, splitting and merging of things.
>>

> And given that what you want to call things are constantly changing at the molecular level, we can't even use this method to identify things! So what are things as a function of time? (Forget entities - how do I uniquely identify a thing in the future such that everyone will agree it is still that thing?)

These are two separate questions.  In the strawman, ?things are abstract - all that we can potentially know about a thing is what identifiers point to it and how its attributes have changed over time.  I'm not convinced that we need to solve how to uniquely identify arbitrary things in the future, since reasonable people may disagree about how to do this.

> Because things are under-defined and ambiguous, we need entities. Entities define only the attributes necessary for making unambiguous identifications over time and only have to do so sufficiently well to be unambiguous with respect to the processes being reported. Other aspects of their identity can remain fuzzy like things are.

I am still confused whether you regard an entity as an assertion (= syntactic statement ABOUT some state of affairs) or a real thing.  You seem to be saying the latter, but I can't see how to adjust the semantics to reflect this.

I am starting to think that trying to ensure that we use enough attributes to (uniquely) characterize the things we're discussing is a red herring.  I think your comment above explains very clearly why this is the case.  Ultimately, the decision about how to break reality into discrete things, and how to identify things as being the same even though they have different states at different points in time, is subjective or socially conventional, and certainty about whether/which observable attributes uniquely define real things also rests on social conventions or assumptions (such as whether VINs / license plates could be forged, or change for legitimate reasons).

If we do want to talk about attributes that (uniquely) characterize the things they describe, we should make these assumptions explicit (e.g. for cars, state whether we consider VINs mutable or not).  Perhaps the discussion happening in parallel about the use of owl:key is the way to address this.

>> In any case, I view the strawman so far as an attempt to describe the
>> common case, not fully resolve all possible corner cases - I doubt we will be
>> able to handle those, without solving major open problems in philosophy.
>
> To bring this back up to the top level - we are not trying to solve philosophical problems, but we do need to choose a model that has not been shown by philosophers (or others) to contain paradoxes for use cases we care about.

Are there any?  I think a well-known, possibly naive model that has known limitations (that we don't pretend to solve) might be superior to a novel model that only has hard-to-spot problems but is much harder to explain.

> Thesius' ship, a statue and its substrate, Allen Renear's argument that documents can't exist, etc. all show that a model based on some notion of 'real' things defined by common sense notions of the world, while highly intuitive, lead to paradoxes when you try to talk about provenance/evolution over time. Models that treat entities as real (per our overall discussion) largely avoid those paradoxes without introducing new ones for our cases of interest. The philosophical question of which one is really the way the world is (or what is a better model) (or what is it the world were modeling anyway) is not something we need to solve.

I agree.  (But I also tend to think that the paradoxes discussed above are due to lack of clarity about syntax vs. semantics or failing to take into account the role of subjective decisions/conventions).  At the moment I would settle for a model that is clear and well-specified, that people can raise issues against in the form of paradoxes or expressiveness gaps.

> The cost of entities being real is that, for complex cases, the model is not intuitive to everyone. The potentially saving grace is that most people can avoid using any entities that they wouldn't be able to also interpret intuitively as things and assertions about state (with occasional paradoxes they'll just have to accept/work around).

As noted above, it is not just that it is not intuitive, it is that I (at least) do not understand what you mean by entities being real (and this seems to be a basic point of cognitive dissonance among others too).  One possibility would be to just rename ?things back to "entities" and say that "entity assertions" are statements about aspects of things/entities that are fixed over a period of time.  This is what I did initially and Luc asked me to rename to thing to make a clearer distinction.

I don't think this is what you mean by "entities being real", though - you seem to be saying that an entity assertion itself has the same status as the thing it denotes, which makes all kinds of circularity alarm bells go off in my head (or at least, means we need a much more sophisticated semantics that allows for explicit reflection.)

Maybe we do agree if we put things a bit differently.  One can have two different entity assertions that *happen* to describe the same thing at different (even non-overlapping) time intervals.  Thus, one could interpret an entity assertion A as denoting a pair (thing T, interval during which assertion A is true of T), i.e., as temporal "slice" of ?thing T in some sense.  For example, different entity assertions "X's blue car as of 2001" and "X's Toyota" could denote the same "real entity" Y = (car with VIN 123456789, interval [1999,2005]).

Is this what you have in mind?

If I'm still missing your point, it would help a lot if you can look at the strawman and identify one or two specific places where what you have in mind doesn't match what is there, since I'm having trouble interpreting the points you've been emphasizing.

>> I also understand from Luc that the strawman is no longer in sync with the
>> conceptual model, so I will be revising it next week sometime to take that
>> into account as well as this discussion.  One good thing to do might be to
>> collect examples such as the car example, royal society, file example and try
>> to explain them using the formal semantics to see where there are
>> problems.
>
> Yes - we (me included) are all too good at intuitively jumping outside what the models allow, so documenting a few examples in detail would be a good next step.

OK, will keep in mind as I revise.

--James