Re: PROV-ISSUE-89 (what-entity-attributes): How do we find the attributes of an entity? [Formal Model]

On Sep 16, 2011, at 7:07 PM, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 23:18, Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu> wrote:
>
>>> prov:characterizedBy
>>>    a owl:AnnotationProperty ;
>>>    rdfs:domain prov:Entity .
>>>    rdfs:range rdf:Property .
>
> You could also here set rdfs:range to prov:characterizingProperty to
> achieve what you say below, but OWL experts will have to tell me if
> that would actually work together with your SPARQL query.
>

>> However, the modeling of the Stian's second variation could be a bit cleaner using rdfs:subPropertyOf .
>>
>> :colour rdfs:subPropertyOf prov:characterizingProperty .
>> :owner rdfs:subPropertyOf prov:characterizingProperty .
>
> While I like this simplified approach and the beauty of the resulting
> SPARQL, this unfortunately makes :colour and :owner characterizing
> properties of any entity uses them. The problem is that by our model
> it is up to the asserter to determine for each entity what are the
> characterizing properties. There might be another car not
> characterized by its :owner, but still have :owner defined. (or could
> it?)

My apologies. I'm catching up on the list and didn't realize that characterizing properties were actually owl:keys.
So I withdraw my proposal of this rdfs:subPropertyOf technique.

By characterized, are we talking about identity among differently-named Entities?

-Tim