Re: Definition of Entity

(Luc, This is not specifically about the issue raised, but was triggered by
something you wrote there.  What I am discussing is that the definitions of the
concepts are insufficiently clear, which may in turn be why I have not
previously been able to clearly express agreement or disagreement with what you
have proposed.)

On 02/09/2011 12:38, Luc Moreau wrote:
 > So:
 > Entity: is data model construct/assertion

This is new to me.  Where does it say this?  I've just looked again in sections
4 and 5, and am not seeing it.

AFAICT, "Entity" is not mentioned at all in section 4.

 From what you say above, it seems that "Entity" and "Entity assertion" are the
same thing.  But I don't see that stated explicitly.  And if true, it completely
overturns what I thought we meant by "Entity".

 > Thing: is the thing in world

I thought we were saying that "Entity" is a thing in the world about which
assertions have been made.  But here you seem to be saying that the "Entity"
*is* the assertions that have been said about a thing.

Specifically, section 5.1 needs tlo clearly state what concept is denoted by the
term "Entity" - for me it does not do that.  Without such a clear and
well-understood statement, it's hard to make concrete progress on the rest of
the specification.

It seems to me that the section is insufficiently clear in distinguishing:
language used to describe entities/things, descriptions of entities/things, and
the actual things described.