Re: proposal: drop 'formal model' terminology

On 30/09/2011 12:29, Luc Moreau wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> The charter [1] lists deliverables D1 'conceptual model' and D2
> 'formal model'.
>
> For the former, we moved away from the 'conceptual model' terminology,
> and we refer to a data model PROV-DM.
>
> For the latter, we seem to have endless confusion about what it really
> means, and what the difference is with
> semantics.   Also, as Graham pointed out, it is not obvious why a
> developer would have to look at a formal model
> document.
>
> 1. Given this confusion, Paul and I would like to propose that we drop
> the terminology 'Formal Model'.
>    Can you express your support or disagreement for this proposal?

I would support this. To Be honest, I was never conformable with the
title "Formal model".
Also, I think that PROV-ASN in the conceptual model gives enough crisp
details to understand the model for people who wants to know more.

> 2. Assuming we adopt the proposal, what should the document title
> become, we leave it to authors/editors to decide.
>    Group members may also want to make suggestions, and we could vote
> on them during teleconference.
>
>    To get the ball rolling: 'semantic web
> representation/model/serialization of provenance'

Provenance Ontology, or Provenance OWL Ontology, given that so far we
focused on OWL.

Thanks, khalid