Re: PROV-ISSUE-26 (uses and generates questions): How can one figure out the provenance of a given entity?

From: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 00:16:48 +0100
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org
Hi Paulo,

Using the notation we have introduced in the provenance model, this is
writen

uses(pe, a, r_a)
uses(pe, b, r_b)
isGeneratedBy(c,pe,r_c)
isDerivedFrom(c,a)

where a,b,c are entities, pe a process execution and r_a, r_b, r_c roles.

To try and answer your questions:
- if something is wrong about c, you may want to inspect pe, and hopefully
    there are assertions about pe (not in this excerpt) which may be useful

- you may want to replay the execution, and so having a and b, and
knowing which
    process definition underping pe, may help you verify the result.

- I assume you mean can we infer that c was derived by the process
execution

    Yes, this is explained in the document, and further refine in the
soon-to-be-released new version.
     Only one pe can generate c (in one account).
     And from a derivation from c to a, one can infer the existence of a
pe which generated c and  used a.

I hope it helps,
Cheers,
Luc