Re: Planning to close Print and Page Layout Community Group due to inactivity unless we hear from you

On 15/03/2023 21:51, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:
> On Sun, 2023-03-12 at 21:04 +0000, Tony Graham wrote:
>> Do we go gentle into that good night or do we rage, rage against
>> the dying of the light?
>
> The city walls crumble. There is ivy growing through the roof of the
> council chamber. But everywhere we can see, shoe-shops flourish.

For a while there, it seemed like playing with (other people's) words
was going to be the only interesting part of this process.

> About the most useful think i can think of would be to document how
> to migrate from XSL-FO to CSS, even though XSL-FO is still actively
> used, and even though the CSS WG isn't really able to do page stuff.

Having a foot in both camps, Antenna House produced an XSL-FO/CSS
comparison rather than a transition guide:

    https://www.antennahouse.com/xsl-fo-css-comparison

It has about 80 pages of content plus a big table of properties at the
back.  More could be said, but I was running out of steam towards the end.

It's available as PDFs formatted with XSL-FO and with CSS.  Many of the
pages are identical between the two.  All of the source files are also
available.

> A list of identified gaps (in a wiki?) might be useful input to the
> CSS WG.

Chapter 3 is a feature comparison summary.

A long time ago, "Requirements for Latin Text Layout and Pagination" [1]
was going to "serve as a reference for the CSS Working Group and other
interested parties", but that hasn't progressed beyond a 2016 draft.

The W3C I18n WG is doing rather better at collecting requirements for
multiple languages. [2]  They already have a seat at the CSS table.

> But who among us is willing to devote, say, two hours a week to
> doing it?

Start it and see who joins.

It might, however, be more effective to contribute to the requirements
or the gap analysis for a language/script that you know well.  I tried,
without any foreshadowing, to start a discussion [3] on LatinReq, but
that didn't go anywhere.  There's no shortage of either experience or
opinions among PPL CG members, so something like that might work if we
have the right approach.

Regards,

Tony.

[1] https://w3c.github.io/dpub-pagination/