Re: ァ2.1.3 IRI/URI Canonicalization does not address IRIs with IDNs

At 15:00 08/04/10, Felix Sasaki wrote:

>Hi Phil,
>
>I was looking into this section in your attachment:
>
>[
>2.1.3.4 Internationalized Domain Names
>    * Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) should be converted from Punycode [RFC3492] into their UTF-8 string representations. So that, for example:
>      http://www.xn--exmple-jua.org/
>      becomes
>      http://www.ex蚓ple.org/.
>]
>
>If you have
>http://www.xn--exmpless-jua.org/
>It is not possible to decide whether it should become
>http://www.ex蚓pless.org/
>or
>http://www.ex蚓ple゜.org/
>since "ss" in the Punycode string could have been originally "ss" or "゜".

Not exactly. IDNA defines a toASCII operation and a toUNICODE operation.
The toUNICODE operation is well-defined, and produces "ss" in the above
case.

What may be more of a complication is that the new proposals for the
revision of the IDNA spec (IDNAbis) are proposing to move the mapping
step out of the protocol definition. This at least leads to less
certainity; I'm not sure how exactly it would affect POWDER.

Regards,    Martin.