Re: definition of "publication"

> On 7 Nov 2015, at 12:51, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:
>
> On 06/11/2015 17:04, Hiroshi Sakakibara wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I read through scribe at TPAC F2F, and tried to understand/contribute
>> to what POM wants to achieve.
>> # As our EPUB3 viewer also have similar book abstruction layer.
>> In the scribe, POM would treat not only EPUB, PDF, etc, but also
>> images and RDFa. (I missed that part in the F2F)
>>
>> It makes sense to me, but I think a difinition/consesus of
>> "what is publication" is needed to discuss further.
>>
>> I assume the contents that publication treats are contents at a
>> time. (e.g. streamed contents from IoT device is not a focus.)
>>
>> I, for example, think publication is constructed for the below parts:
>>
>> - target media information
>>  - paged media(PDF, EPUB, etc), web, paper, rounded display, etc
>> - a container information that holds contents
>>  - page size(A4, B4, etc), register mark, etc if the tagret media is
>>    paper
>>  - fixed/reflow info if the target is EBOOK
>>  - how ronded if the target is rounded display
>> - meta information against contents
>>  - author, created date, updated info, etc
>>
>> More buliding block might exist, but the definition/consensus can be
>> helpful for constructing data set in the IDL implementaiton(using
>> haxe?).
>
> It's still a good question. I think a "publication" is really anything
> we can publish. So yes, an EPUB, a PDF, a Word document or even a
> single html document can be a publication. I'm not really sure about the
> relevance of "page" in that context. Some publications will be
> paginated, some won't be.

The DPUB IG spent a certain amount of time trying to nail down a general notion of publication, more exactly a Web Publication. See

http://w3c.github.io/dpub-pwp/

more exactly

http://w3c.github.io/dpub-pwp/#terminology

the definitions are fairly abstract, and we should add more 'meat' in the coming months, eg, to fill in details of a manifest, on URL-s, etc. But maybe it helps framing the discussion.

Ivan

> About haxe, don't focus too much on it. I started using it because it
> is compilable into both JS and c++ but that's a kitchen sink, really.
>
> Personal note: I had health issues during the last days, hence my lack
> of messages here.
>
> </Daniel>

----
Ivan Herman, W3C