Re: definition of "publication"

On 06/11/2015 17:04, Hiroshi Sakakibara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read through scribe at TPAC F2F, and tried to understand/contribute
> to what POM wants to achieve.
>  # As our EPUB3 viewer also have similar book abstruction layer.
> In the scribe, POM would treat not only EPUB, PDF, etc, but also
> images and RDFa. (I missed that part in the F2F)
>
> It makes sense to me, but I think a difinition/consesus of
> "what is publication" is needed to discuss further.
>
> I assume the contents that publication treats are contents at a
> time. (e.g. streamed contents from IoT device is not a focus.)
>
> I, for example, think publication is constructed for the below parts:
>
> - target media information
>   - paged media(PDF, EPUB, etc), web, paper, rounded display, etc
> - a container information that holds contents
>   - page size(A4, B4, etc), register mark, etc if the tagret media is
>     paper
>   - fixed/reflow info if the target is EBOOK
>   - how ronded if the target is rounded display
> - meta information against contents
>   - author, created date, updated info, etc
>
> More buliding block might exist, but the definition/consensus can be
> helpful for constructing data set in the IDL implementaiton(using
> haxe?).

It's still a good question. I think a "publication" is really anything
we can publish. So yes, an EPUB, a PDF, a Word document or even a
single html document can be a publication. I'm not really sure about the
relevance of "page" in that context. Some publications will be
paginated, some won't be.

About haxe, don't focus too much on it. I started using it because it
is compilable into both JS and c++ but that's a kitchen sink, really.

Personal note: I had health issues during the last days, hence my lack
of messages here.

</Daniel>