Re: definition of "publication"

On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 14:09:25 +0100
Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> > On 7 Nov 2015, at 12:51, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 06/11/2015 17:04, Hiroshi Sakakibara wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I read through scribe at TPAC F2F, and tried to understand/contribute
> >> to what POM wants to achieve.
> >> # As our EPUB3 viewer also have similar book abstruction layer.
> >> In the scribe, POM would treat not only EPUB, PDF, etc, but also
> >> images and RDFa. (I missed that part in the F2F)
> >>
> >> It makes sense to me, but I think a difinition/consesus of
> >> "what is publication" is needed to discuss further.
> >>
> >> I assume the contents that publication treats are contents at a
> >> time. (e.g. streamed contents from IoT device is not a focus.)
> >>
> >> I, for example, think publication is constructed for the below parts:
> >>
> >> - target media information
> >>  - paged media(PDF, EPUB, etc), web, paper, rounded display, etc
> >> - a container information that holds contents
> >>  - page size(A4, B4, etc), register mark, etc if the tagret media is
> >>    paper
> >>  - fixed/reflow info if the target is EBOOK
> >>  - how ronded if the target is rounded display
> >> - meta information against contents
> >>  - author, created date, updated info, etc
> >>
> >> More buliding block might exist, but the definition/consensus can be
> >> helpful for constructing data set in the IDL implementaiton(using
> >> haxe?).
> >
> > It's still a good question. I think a "publication" is really anything
> > we can publish. So yes, an EPUB, a PDF, a Word document or even a
> > single html document can be a publication. I'm not really sure about the
> > relevance of "page" in that context. Some publications will be
> > paginated, some won't be.
> >

> The DPUB IG spent a certain amount of time trying to nail down a general notion of publication, more exactly a Web Publication. See
>
> http://w3c.github.io/dpub-pwp/
>
> more exactly
>
> http://w3c.github.io/dpub-pwp/#terminology
>
> the definitions are fairly abstract, and we should add more 'meat' in the coming months, eg, to fill in details of a manifest, on URL-s, etc. But maybe it helps framing the discussion.
>
> Ivan

Thank you for letting me know the PWP information.
I read through the PWP site.  This is very informative for me.

It would be better to clarify the publication definition with PWP
members.
Where can I find the current cooking status of the 'meat'?
(Github issues?)

For my understanding, I illustrated an architectural figure[1].
The items listed right-hand does not cover whole publication/PWP
information yet.

This figure raises some questions and thoughts:

1) Where dose POM position in the software architecrue?
   For ease of use, it should not be implemented in browser. But POM
   should interact with browser.
2) How should "PWP Control data" be presented?
   Is this data a part of Web document?
   (I'm still wondering content data and control data should be
   devided or not.  And what "devided" means in fact..)
3) (From PWP document) I want to have UI controlling mechanism for
   contents.
   Current EPUB have TOC. Most of EPUB viewer has TOC button, and TOC
   meta information is listed.
   Travel guide books or other scientific publications require
   TOC-like button to list up or to point other information.
   The meta information differs depending on the contents.
   So, UI controlling way from contents to RS is needed.
   (In fact, I talked with JP guide book publishing company and
   Japanese classics publishing company, and both of them require such
   mechanism.)

[1] http://www.tsukune.org/skk/tmp/pom/arch.png

PWP site has a lot of information, so I'm still in constructing my
thoughts... Sorry for kitchen sink mail.

--- Hiroshi/skk

--
Sakakibara Hiroshi (skk@bpsinc.jp)
Beyond Perspective Solutions Co., Ltd.