Re: Reassessing applicability of (legacy) concepts

> On 24 Oct. 2016, at 17:42, Simon Steyskal <simon.steyskal@wu.ac.at> wrote:
>
> We are mostly talking about adding new concepts to ODRL and/or extending already existing ones. But we've never questioned the practicality/applicability of some of ODRL's (legacy) concepts. For example, we have actions like install/uninstall [1,2] or move [3] that were added to ODRL 1.0 back in 2002 [4], but were hardly changed ever since and seem oddly specific considering actions like "download" or "query" aren't included in ODRL.

These mainly were from MPEG-21 requirements….A long time ago (when installing software was an art form ;-)

We did touch on this point in Lisbon, when we discussed normative V non-normative terms.
(This topic is on the teleconference agenda.)

I think, as you say, if we ask “does anyone use/need this”…there will be silence.

For some terms, they should become non-normative (maybe many will).

However, for “outdated” concepts, we should consider removing/deprecating them.

So the question is, do we make such “outdated” terms non-normative, or do we remove/deprecate them?

Renato Iannella, Monegraph
Co-Chair, W3C Permissions & Obligations Expression (POE) Working Group