Re: ARIA Test Cases 86 and 87 are invalid

From: Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 16:09:18 -0400
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, David Bolter <dbolter@mozilla.com>
CC: clown@alum.mit.edu, surkov.alexander@gmail.com, public-pfwg@w3.org, cooper@w3.org, cyns@exchange.microsoft.com
Hi Rich, et al.

I wrote a reply on another thread, but I think it's apropos here. Also,
adding David B to the To: list.

Rich wrote:

> the UAIG in section 5.8.3 has mappings for selection following focus
> and for when the author sets aria-selected directly. Michael and I
> discussed this and we agree that you appear to have added an
> additional requirement beyond the ARIA spec. that selection MUST
> follow focus for gridcells and rows in a grid.

That's not how I interpret it.  The section in 5.8.3 concerns multiple
selection situations.  The associated table's left hand column is
labelled "Scenario".  That has the sense of a conditional.  Thus, it
does NOT say "selection MUST follow focus". What it says is "*If*
selection follow focus, then the user agent MUST fire the following events".

Of course, my reading might be wrong.  I didn't write this section. It
was there long before I became editor.  Could those who were there chime in?

Also, I don't know precisely what "selection follows focus" means. One
possibility is if the author adds an onfocus script that sets
aria-selected to "true" -- would that qualify as "selection follows focus"?

--
;;;;joseph.

'A: After all, it isn't rocket science.'
'K: Right. It's merely computer science.'
              - J. D. Klaun -