Re: Thoughts on Native Payments

On 7/6/16 00:19, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> Although constraining native applications to the Web Payment API may
> be simpler (?),
> I wouldn't take that path.

Are you proposing that merchant websites would use one kind of API to
use web-based payment apps, and a completely different one for native
payment apps? That seems profoundly inelegant. Merchant sites shouldn't
have to worry about the underlying technology being used to provide
payments to them any more than is necessary.

> Below is a enhanced variant of native messaging which is "liberated" from
> the generic browser extension scheme...

This approach raises a number of issues that I suspect will either be
showstoppers, or take a fairly long time to unwind. There has been a
concerted push to wind down content-available bridge technologies, like
NPAPI, and I doubt that introduction of a new one at this point would be
received with much enthusiasm.

--
Adam Roach
Principal Platform Engineer