Re: [BH] First (Very Rought) Outline of Beyond HTTP

Patrick,

Indeed, an interesting paper. However I read it with an eye towards what we
could apply towards our "P3P Beyond HTTP" work and don't see any immediate
take-away. However, since I bothered to read it, I figure I might as well
share my comments: <smile/>
1. Certainly interesting to see this in light of RDF/DAML.
2. From the point of view of user security and privacy, relying upon a
service ontology as the significant factor in releasing information does
not give me great confidence. In their example, my credit card is
considered "free" to anyone that calls themselves a
AitTransportationService? Perhaps my reaction is unfair or confused, but
they make the point that their proposal is *not* limited to the Web and
URIs, which P3P is. I believe that *any* privacy solution, including those
for Web services, will depend upon some declaration of service identity
that is associate with some URI -- not merely an association in an
ontology.
3. Having been around the course with respect to "negotiation" I prefer to
use that term to exclusively describe multi-round (interactive) protocols.
Specifying alternatives in a single transmission can have similar effects,
but not necessarily as Lorrie and Paul touched on [1].

[1] http://www.si.umich.edu/~presnick/papers/negotiation/