Re: Review of Primer

Dear Michel,

Am 19.05.2009 um 20:57 schrieb Michel_Dumontier:

> Hi Sebastian/Pascal,
>   I still think that the HappyPerson example is still not ideal
> because of the cyclic definition. It’s easier to understand if you
> just say that
>
> EquivalentClasses(
>  :HappyPerson
>  ObjectAllValuesFrom( :hasChild :Person)
> )

We understand your concern, yet the variant you suggest is problematic
as it would classify *all* entities as HappyPersons that don't happen
to have non-Persons as children (such as possibly animals). I think
this may even more confusing than the current one. We have discussed
possible alternatives but were not really satisfied by any of them,
except for the current one.

> While I understand that you want to make the point that we can
> express cycles, it adds a layer of complexity that is unnecessary
> and its utility in this example is not particularly convincing.

Triggered by that comment, I asked some colleagues and they found the
statement "somebody is a happy Person iff all his/her children are
happy Persons" quite natural.
For those reasons we would really prefer to leave the example as it
is. But I added a sentence after the example explicitly hinting at the
self-referentiality of this statement and that this is OK.

> Grammar:
> “If we happen to know the exact number of John's parent children,
> this can be specified as follows:”
> è If we happen to know the exact number of John's children that are
> parents, this can be specified as follows:

Thanks a lot for this hint, we corrected that.

Best regards,
  Sebastian